Province of New Brunswick

New Brunswick

By Dana Hall

Posted on April 19, 2021

Province of New Brunswick

Official Languages: English and French
Age of Majority: 19
Legal Drinking Age: 19

Getting a Health Card

You will be eligible for health coverage on the day you move to New Brunswick. In order to do this, you will need to prove that your address is in New Brunswick.

  • If you are a student, you can apply for health coverage if you study full time and your program is at least one year long. You will need to submit a proof of enrollment with your health care application. Your proof of enrollment should be a letter written by the Registrar of your university and include your full name, date of birth, and confirmation that you are studying full-time.
  • If you have a work permit, you can apply for health coverage, but it is not guaranteed. These applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, so you will need to go to your nearest Service New Brunswick location to disclose the length of your permit and the nature of your work.

To apply, you will need to fill out the application form and submit documents that prove your right to live in Canada, your address in New Brunswick, and your identity. You will also need to show the entry stamp on your passport. Here is a list of acceptable documents.

You can apply by mail. The address is at the beginning of the application form. You can also apply in person at a Service New Brunswick location.

Driving information

How to get a licence: The legal age to drive in New Brunswick is 16. You will need to take a knowledge test in order to get your learner’s permit. Tests are available at Service New Brunswick locations. You do not need to book an appointment. You will need to bring one piece of identification and 2 documents to prove your residency in New Brunswick. Your proof of residency can contain the name of your guardian if you are under 16.

It is recommended that you study the New Brunswick driver’s handbook in order to prepare. You can take a practice test here. Your learner’s permit is called your Class 7i licence. This will allow you to drive with someone who has their full licence. You will also need to maintain a zero-alcohol level at all times while driving.

The next step is to book a road test. You will need to have your learner’s licence for a year in order to take the test. If you have a driver’s education course, you will only need to wait eight months. When you pass your road test, you will receive your Class 7ii licence. This will allow you to drive alone or with up to three passengers in the car. You must maintain a zero blood alcohol level when driving and cannot drive between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m.

You need to have your Class 7ii licence for a least one year. After a year, you will qualify for a full licence, which is called a Class 5 licence. You do not need to take a test, but it is your responsibility to apply to transfer your licence to a Class 5.

Transferring a driver’s licence: You will have to exchange your foreign licence for a New Brunswick licence within six months of arriving in the province. To exchange your licence, you will need to visit a Service New Brunswick location and take a knowledge test and road test. You will need to bring your driver’s licence, an official translation of the licence if it is not in English or French, proof of identity, and two proofs of address.

If you are from one of the following countries, you will be able to exchange your licence at a Service New Brunswick location.

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • South Korea*
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan**
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

*People from South Korea will need to contact their consulate and have them prepare a package which includes:

  • A cover page
  • An English translation of the licence
  • A copy of the original licence
  • A certified section with the signature of the Consul and the Seal

Bring this package, your original licence, proof of identity, and two proofs of address with you to your appointment.

**People from Taiwan will need to provide the following, along with their original licence, proof of identity, and two proofs of address:

  • An English translation of their licence authenticated by the Taipei Economic and Culture Office in Toronto
  • An original Verification Certificate of Driver’s Licence (VCDL) issued by a Taiwan Vehicle Office that is less than three months old

New Brunswick public school information

New Brunswick is officially bilingual. You will be able to send your child to either a French or an English school. If your child speaks English but you would like them to learn in French, you should register them for a French Immersion program offered by English schools. French immersion is a part of the English school system, and it is intended for children who do not speak French already.

In New Brunswick, it is mandatory for children to start school at age five. Both the English and French school systems follow a Kindergarten to Grade 12 (K–12) program. Some schools only teach K–5 while others teach K–8. Middle school goes from Grade 6 to Grade 8, and high school goes from Grade 9 to Grade 12.

Your child’s grade is determined by the year the are born. For instance, everyone born in the year 2015 will go into Grade 1 in 2021. That’s because they will be turning six in 2021. There is a short break at the end of December that lasts for two to three weeks. This is called winter break. School starts again in January. There is another break in March called march break. This is one week long.

You may need to register your child as an international student when you go to enroll them at a public school. To do this, you will need to find the French or English school board in your area and visit their website. There will be a section for international students which has information on ESL and FSL learning. It will also give you information on the documents you’ll need to register your child as well as any applicable fees.

You can visit this website for information on homeschooling.

One thought on “New Brunswick

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *