Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador

By Dana Hall

Posted on April 19, 2021
Newfoundland and Labrador
Official Language: English
Age of Majority: 19
Legal Drinking Age: 19

Getting a Health Card

Anyone living in Newfoundland for 12 months or more can apply for health care. If you have permanent residency, this is the only document you will need. You might be asked to give proof of identity or address after you have applied.

  • If you are a student, you might be able to apply for health coverage. Your program needs to be at least 12 months long and you need to be a full-time student. Your university needs to provide you with a letter that confirms this. It will also need to confirm that you are studying at a campus in Newfoundland or Labrador.
  • If you have a work permit that is longer than 12 months, you can apply for health coverage. You will need a letter from your employer written before you come to Canada. It must confirm the following:
    • Your job position
    • That the business is in Newfoundland and Labrador
    • That your job is valid for at least 12 months—If you are a part of the Provincial Nominee Program or the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, your position will only need to be for six months.

You can apply by mail or in person at your local Medical Care Plan office. During COVID-19, you will need to mail in your form to one of the following offices:

  • 45 Major’s Path, St. John’s
  • 22 High Street, Grand Falls-Windsor

Driving Information

How to get a licence: The legal age to drive in Newfoundland and Labrador is 16. The first thing you need to do is take a knowledge test. You can study the province’s Driver’s Handbook and take practice tests here. If you have your Newfoundland and Labrador health card, you can register to take the test online.

If you do not have a health card yet, you can book an appointment at a Motor Registration Division location. You will need to bring proofs of age, identity, and address as well as proof of your right to live in Canada. A list of acceptable documents is available here. People under the age of 19 will need a parent or guardian’s signature.

When you pass the knowledge test, you will receive your Class 5 Level 1 licence. The licence costs $60. This will allow you to drive with someone who has their full licence. You will also need to maintain a zero-alcohol level at all times while driving.

You need to have your Level 1 licence for at least a year. After a year, you can take a road test to get your Class 5 Level 2 licence. If you have a driver’s education course, then you can take this test after only eight months. The cost of the road test is $78, and the cost of the Class 5 Level 2 licence is $125. With this licence, you must maintain a zero blood alcohol level when driving, and you cannot drive between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m.

Your Level 2 licence is valid for five years, but you can upgrade to a full licence after just one year. Your full licence will cost $125. You do not need to take another road test to upgrade to your full licence.

How to transfer a licence: If you have a foreign licence, you will need to exchange it for a Newfoundland and Labrador licence. You should do this in your first 90 days of living in the province.

You will need to provide an official translation of your licence if it is not in English or French. You will also need to have two proofs of your right to live in Canada and a valid proof of address. You can view a list of appropriate identification here and examples of proof of address here. When you have these documents ready, you can book an appointment at a Motor Registration Division location to take a vision test and a knowledge test. If you pass the knowledge test, you can book a road test.

If you pass your road test, you will be placed in the Graduated Driver’s Licence Program at the appropriate level for your experience. To learn about this program, please refer to the above section of how to get a licence.

If your country has an exchange agreement with Newfoundland and Labrador, you will only need to visit a Motor Registration Division to take an eye test and exchange your licence. The following countries have exchange agreements:

  • Austria
  • France
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Isle of Man
  • Ireland
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Newfoundland and Labrador public school information:

Most children begin school at age five, but school is not mandatory until age six. The different levels of education in Newfoundland and Labrador will vary depending on the school. Most elementary schools offer Grades 1 to 6; most middle schools offer Grades 7 to 9, and most high schools offer Grades 10 to 12. Please check with the school in your area to find out which grades are offered.

Your child’s grade is determined by the year they are born. For instance, everyone born in the year 2015 will go into Grade 1 in 2021. That’s because they will turn six in 2021. The school year starts in early September and goes until the end of June. There is a short break at the end of December that lasts for two to three weeks. This is called winter break. School starts again in January. There is another break in April that lasts one week.

If you would like to homeschool your child, you can visit this website for more information.

One thought on “Newfoundland and Labrador

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *