Territory of Yukon


By Dana Hall

Posted on June 21, 2021


Official Languages: English, French, and Inuktitut
Age of Majority: 19
Legal Drinking Age: 19

Getting a Health Card

If you live in Yukon for more than six months of the year, you can get health coverage. You will need to live in Yukon for three months before you are eligible. It is recommended that you have private health insurance during this time.

  • If you are a student, you are not eligible for health coverage.
  • If you are on a work permit and your permit is at least 12 months, you are eligible for coverage.

To apply, you will need to submit proof of your right to live in Canada (like your Permanent Residency Card) and one other piece of identification. You will also need to submit proof of address. Here is a list of acceptable documents.

If you live in Whitehorse, you can bring your documents to the Government of Yukon located at 204 Lambert Street on the fourth floor. You will be able to fill out an application at the office. If you are not in Whitehorse, you can visit your community’s nearest territorial agent to fill out the application and submit your documents.

Driving information

How to get a licence: The legal age to drive in Yukon is 15. To apply for a licence, you will need to take a knowledge test for $20 at a Motor Vehicles Office. You might need to book in advance depending on where you live, so it is best to call and check. You should study the Yukon driver’s handbook before taking the test. You can take a practice test here.

You will need to bring valid forms of identification that prove your right to live in Canada and show your name, birthdate, photo, and signature. You will also need to bring two proofs of address. Here is a list of acceptable identification and proof of address documents. If you are under 18, you will also need consent from a parent or guardian. If you pass the knowledge test, you will be given a learner’s permit. This will allow you to drive with someone who has had a licence for at least two years.

You will have your learner’s permit for a minimum of six months. You must have at least 50 hours of driving experience in order to book a road test, which costs $20. The minimum age to take a road test is 16. If you pass your road test, you will be given a Novice Stage Licence, which you will have for a minimum of 18 months. You cannot drive between midnight and 5 a.m. without someone who has had a licence for two years, and you must maintain a zero-alcohol level when driving. After 18 months, you can apply for a full licence. Your nearest Motor Vehicle Office will have information on their specific application procedure.

How to transfer a licence: If you have a foreign licence, you will need to transfer it within 120 days of moving to the territory. If your licence is from the Isle of Man, Germany, or the United States, it will be recognized by Yukon. You will need to visit a Motor Vehicles Office. Bring your licence, one document proving your identity, and two documents proving your address in Yukon. Here is a list of acceptable identification and proof of address documents. If you have had your licence for less than two years, you will enter the Graduated Driver’s Licensing program (see the above section on how to get a licence).

If you do not have a licence from one of the countries listed above, you will need to enter the Graduated Driver’s Licensing program. See the above section on how to get a licence for more information.

Yukon public school information

Children can start Pre-Kindergarten at age four or Kindergarten at age five, but they are not required to attend school until age six. The elementary and high school grade division varies from school to school. In some areas, schools teach Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12. In other areas, students may need to attend one school to complete Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 7 and then go to a different school to complete Grades 8–12. You will need to check with the schools in your area to see how they divide the grades.

Your child’s grade is determined by the year they are born. For instance, everyone born in the year 2015 will go into Grade 1 in 2021. That’s because they will turn six in 2021. The school year usually starts at the end of August and goes until the end of June. There is a break at the end of December that lasts for three weeks. This is called winter break. There is another, week-long break in March called spring break.

If you would like to homeschool your child, you can visit this website for more information on how to register.

One thought on “Yukon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *