The Northwest Territories

Northwest Territories

By Dana Hall

Posted on June 21, 2021

Northwest Territories

Official Language: English, French, Chipewyan, Cree, Gwich’in, Inuinnaqtun, Inuktitut, Inuvialuktun, North Slavey, South Slavey, Tłıchǫ Yatıì
Age of Majority: 19
Legal Drinking Age: 19

Getting a Health Card

You can apply for health care coverage if you are allowed to live in Canada and are in the Northwest Territories for 153 days of the year. You will also need to submit proof that you have an address in the Northwest Territories.

  • If you are a student, you can apply for health coverage if your visa is longer than 12 months.
  • If you have a work permit, you can apply for health coverage if your permit is longer than 12 months.

To apply, you will need to fill out the application form and submit proof of your right to live in Canada, proof of your identity, and proof of your address. A list of acceptable documents is available on the application form.

You can mail or email your information to the addresses on page three of the application form.

Driving information

How to get a licence: The legal age to start driving in the Northwest Territories is 15. The first thing you need to do is get your learner’s permit by passing a knowledge test at a DMV location. You can study for the test using the Northwest Territories driver’s handbook. You can take practice tests here. The handbook is in PDF format and page six gives a good overview of the process on how to get a licence.

You will need to bring a valid proof of address and two forms of valid identification with you to take your test. One of these identifications will need to have a photo. You will also need to provide proof of your right to live in Canada. Some DMV locations have walk-in services for knowledge testing, but others require you to book an appointment. Check your nearest DMV location to find out what options are available.

Your learner’s permit is also called a Class 7 licence. It will allow you to drive with someone who has had their full licence for at least 24 months. You can apply for a road test after one year of driving with a learner’s permit. If you pass the road test, you can receive a probationary licence, also known as a Class 5P. You must be at least 16 years old to obtain this licence.

Your probationary licence is like your full licence but with a few additional restrictions. Your blood alcohol level must be zero when driving. You will lose your licence if you receive over six demerit points.

After a year, you will be given your full licence, which is called a Class 5. To upgrade to a Class 5, you will need to go to your local DMV to exchange your licence for a $31 fee. You must be at least 17 years old to hold a Class 5.

Here is a list of fees associated with getting your licence.

How to transfer a licence: If you already have a licence, you will need to exchange it for a Northwest Territories licence within 30 days of moving to the territory. If you have an international licence, you can wait up to 12 months to exchange it.

You will need to take a knowledge test and a road test before you can transfer your licence. If you pass both of these tests, you will be granted a full licence.

If you are from the United States or Germany, you will be able to exchange your licence without taking a knowledge or road test.

Northwest Territories public school information

Children can start public school when they are four, but it is not mandatory until they are six. The school grade division will vary from school to school. In some areas, schools teach Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. In other areas, students may need to attend one school to complete Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 and then attend a separate school to complete Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. Some areas will have formal elementary, middle, and high schools. You will need to check with the schools in your area to learn how they divide the grades.

Your child’s grade is determined by the year they are born. For instance, everyone born in the year 2015 will go into Grade 1 in 2021. That’s because they will turn six in 2021. The school year starts in early September and goes until the end of June. There is a short break at the end of December that lasts for two to three weeks. This is called winter break. School starts again in January. There is another, week-long break in March called march break.

If you would like to homeschool your child, you can visit this website for more information on how to register.

One thought on “Northwest Territories

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *